Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Kehe-kehe

First of all, Merry Christmas!!!

These past few years have been a whirlwind of a ride. From obsessions with alien invasions, the UFC, Nassim Haramein's finite theories and spirituality, to air frying everything, crossfit, finding the man of my dreams and hiking in Nepal??!!
Only to discover that the latter group of experiences are the finer things in life. 
I also learnt that information is all around, what you choose to do with it plays a big role in how it enhances you, as a person.

Trekking the Himalayas, I must say, is one of the most phenomenal things I've ever done in my life. I have said many times before that everything should always be about the journey and not about the result. Something I thought I understood, but it was clear that I was no where near the comprehension of this concept until I experienced this journey.

I used to question the point of hiking a hill/mountain, when all you do is struggle to go up and when you get to the top, come straight down. Then, it dawned upon me that this was what experiencing the journey meant.

BY NO MEANS was this hike an easy one. It consisted of a 5 day hike, 8 hours a day, some freak weather where it rained for 3 days non-stop, eating the same food almost everyday, fighting with other hikers to dry your clothes, no electricity, no water (meaning no showers at times) and the most difficult one of all, you questioning your own willpower. 

Besides willpower, which HAD to be questioned every 5 steps, the Himalayan mountain range has one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen in my entire life. The mountains are draped with millet and paddy fields, farms, villages and most of all, the most beautiful trees on this planet.

Here are some of the photos from the trip. I can't really describe what it was like because no words can actually describe what I experienced. I only know that I almost passed out when I was standing on this hilltop, and suddenly, the clouds cleared revealing the majestic Annapurna South and Machapuchare (The Sacred Fish Tail).


Kathmandu, where everything started. Especially the shopping.

So happened we arrived on the first day of Darshain. 
The Nepalis' equivalent to Deepavali.
There's me getting blessings from my parents.

Mom and dad putting barley in my ears. 

 Landscape of the Himalayan mountain range - Paddy fields.

The beautiful Pokhara lake.  

 Child who showed me his wee wee after I took this photo.

Little old lady who hosted us and made the most amazing Tibetan cornbread. 



 Machapuchare poking out of the clouds. Hello!!

 Omg, Annapurna South, I was speechless at this point.

 Moo

 The village on the other mountain, is actually Landruk. Well done for signage.

 Baby lambs on our descent towards Syauli Bazaar (last stop).

Millet, to be fermented into a local alcohol called Raksi. My dad's best friend for quite a few nights.

Here is the Poon Hill trek :)

So we made it. That's important. Went up to an altitude of 3210m and I don't really want to know how long and how far we walked, but it was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything in the world, not even WiFi.

1 comment: